Thursday 24 January 2013

How does this my opening sequence research link to our production?



Legally Blonde: At the moment we are thinking about a horror so this style is not what we are aiming for however, the same basic codes and conventions can be applied to all openings. It is obvious that the mis en scene fits with the genre of this film and so do the credits. Very girly and pretty writing is used for example for the romantic comedy. In that sense our credits must reflect the genre we go for. In these credits the titles are over the top of the beginning of the film, so the narrative has already started. This is something I would quite like to do in our film as I think it involves the audience more straight away although, ultimately the decision will be made by the group.

The Shining is a horror film; I picked it because I could look at the codes and conventions in horror films. I really like the different angles used in this and think that we could definitely use this in our credits as it can create more visual interest for the audience. This is also one of the things we were told worked well in our preliminary task. The fact that it is in a isolated place and also picturesque is something I think is very effective and I would like to use that.
The sound in the Shining is also really scary and i like the high pitched sounds as this also connotes something that is not quite right. Something like this would be interesting to recreate.

Again in the Texas Chain Saw Massacre the sound is high pitched and can be irregular. The sound is also non diegetic but realistic. There is the sound of the news in the background which is informing people about the events but subtlety, this would be interesting if we needed a way of adding extra information in to the sequence. The other sounds used are also very sensual and link to what you are seeing. They make you squirm which I think works well. Also I really like the cutting to a black screen as it builds tension I would be interested in using this especially as Legally Blonde also builds tension by gradually showing you parts of the character and her surroundings but not her face. This is something i have noticed in other sequences; therefore i think this enigma is critical no matter what. 

One of the things that I took away from Black Swan is that the sequence intensifies, I think this really works for the opening sequence and I think this would work well for ours also no matter what idea we go for.

No comments:

Post a Comment