Tuesday 22 January 2013

Research into similar media texts: BeetleJuice

BEETLE JUICE. 
For my research into similar media texts I looked at the opening to Beetle Juice (1988). This a horror movie although it comes under the sub-genre of comedy horror where the audience is scared however there are comedy outlets so the audience can laugh at their fear.
  • The opening sequence fit my expectations as it started with a production company name, the music started as this was playing with an echoed "beetle beetle" having a production company first is common in opening sequences, we will include one in our opening sequence and I will do research into different production names and the way they are presented.
  • The text was very different from the other opening sequence I looked at Legally Blonde however this is not surprising at all as they are totally different genres. I will apply this when doing my opening sequence that it is very important that it all links together.
  •  Beetle Juice has the credits first on a black screen for the production company, the distributor and Tim Burton the director.  It then plays the text over the footage. 
  • The text is black and white, with a blue haze behind it. It reminded me at first of something to do with ghosts and the cool colors used indicate that this will be scary. The title of the film surrounded by skulls in the border also confirmed this for me.
  •  Next there was an establishing shot of the town, this is common in opening sequences and matched my expectations. Again I hope to use this in our opening sequence as It is important the audience know where they are in the beginning of a movie. 
  • The movie opens with a helicopter shot over the town and it follows the road, this build a sense of tension as we don't know where we are going and it takes quite a long time, however it does mean we know where we are in relation to everything. It then ends on a long shot of the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment